查看: 2652|回复: 5

Cheap, cheap, cheap Richard Russell snippet

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-8-14 11:04:05 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
Cheap, cheap, cheap [size=-1]Richard Russell snippet
Dow Theory Letters
[size=-1]Aug 13, 2008
[size=-1]Extracted from the Aug 12, 2008 edition of Richard's Remarks
[size=-1]XAU is the index for the gold and silver shares. Through yesterday, [size=-1] XAU has been down eight out of the last ten sessions and 12 out of the last 15 sessions. The 12 out of 15 sessions particularly interested me because it sets off my 80% thesis. Whenever any market is down 80% of the time over a string of closings, this represents a severe oversold condition. The longer the string, the more important the 80% thesis applies.
[size=-1]The action of XAU since July 15 can be likened to a crash. Study the daily chart of XAU -- the chart goes back to the year 2000. Look at the red arrows. It appears to me that XAU is now the most oversold it's been since at least the year 2000. XAU is now so oversold, so compressed, that I would think some sort of a bottom should be near.
[size=-1]Referring to the two panels at the bottom of the chart, the upper panel is MACD and the lower panel is the 144-day rate-of-change [ROC]. Everything on this chart suggests an oversold extreme.
[size=-1]With gold down sharply and with mining expenses and wages up, the pressure has been on the precious metal mining stocks. The vice of higher wages and lower gold has put a clamp on the gold mining stocks and only higher-priced gold will get these stocks out of their funk.
[size=-1]But the point is that they are now severely oversold and cheap, cheap, cheap.
[size=-1]
[size=-1]My own policy [size=-1]-- Ever since the year 2000 I've kept a portion of our assets in gold with a smaller section in gold stocks. I've been adding bullion to our position periodically ever since. I don't consider this a trading position any more than I consider our home "a trade." I have always considered gold to be "a store of wealth," an asset that I don't worry about. That's still my position.
[size=-1]I've said this many times. I view our gold position in terms of "ounces owned." I don't control how many dollars it takes to buy an ounce of gold, but I do control how many ounces of gold we own. Unlike stocks or even bonds, I never worry about the solvency of gold.
 楼主| 发表于 2008-8-14 14:40:07 | 显示全部楼层

RUSSELL ON GOLD & THE DOW

RUSSELL ON GOLD & THE DOW

August 13, 2008 -- We've recently seen the greatest expansion of credit in history. It was a product of Asian and Mid-Eastern countries holding down the value of their currency by creating more of their own money and buying dollars. The Fed got into the act in 2003 when it held down Fed Funds to 1% for month after month. It was a wild expansion of money and credit. Now the party is over.

The US and the economies of the free world run on credit. In the US it now takes six dollars in credit to produce one dollar in Gross National Product. Maybe the biggest problem today is that the banking system has become so traumatized that it is restricting credit. Today "nobody can get a loan," the complete opposite of the situation which existed prior to the housing bust. The danger -- constricting credit will impact heavily on the nation's GDP. If that happens, say hello to a blistering recession.

With credit being restricted, a second and very serious danger surfaces. That danger is asset deflation. The very thought of asset deflation sends chills of fear up Fed chief Ben Bernanke's spine. Credit contraction, asset deflation -- shades of the great Depression.

What's the antidote to deflation? It's print, print, print. What would gold's reaction be to "print, print, print"? Gold's reaction would be -- rise, rise, rise.

Following up on yesterday's XAU chart, below we see a daily chart of Gold going back to the year 2000. First gold established that long shallow rising trendline that you see. Then around 2005 gold established a much steeper trendline. During 2008 gold moved up and away from its steeper trendline, hitting a high of 1037 in May.

But by that time gold had gone up too far and too fast. Ads in the newspapers appeared telling you that gold was going to the moon. Gold had become "a hot item." Next, gold slumped in to what we might call "the big correction." Which is where we are now.

But gold is also severely oversold. Referring to the chart, look at RSI, look at MACD, look at the bottom panel which is momentum or the 144-day rate-of-change. So no, I don't think it's the end of the great gold bull market. I guess you could call this "the correction that makes the true-believers doubt their beliefs."

It may take an extended period of time to repair the technical damage to gold. But as the girl who was eating peas one at a time said, "What's the hurry?"

But gold isn't the only item that is oversold. Just for the fun of it, I ran the Dow with the same technical coordinates. First, we see the Dow breaking below a long rising trendline -- and then plunging.

Up to now, all the market's shenanigans have occurred with the Dow holding above the 50% level of the entire 2002 to 2007 Dow advance. That's the good news. The bad news is that the decline is clearly not over. What level will the Dow be at when it finally hits bottom, that's what is so important. Will the Dow establish its final low above 10725 or below it? That's the trillion dollar question.

Question -- The stock market is in an extended decline, and with Lowry's Selling Pressure at its high, nobody knows when or where this decline will end. Could the stock market become so chaotic, so scary, that people will buy gold as "the only item that can't go bankrupt?" Will they buy gold because they don't trust anything else, and gold represents pure wealth?"

Answer -- That's a possibility, a distant one to be sure, but it is one rationale for holding bullion (coins). When all else is suspect, gold will represent wealth with no counter-party -- the eternal standard against which everything else is priced.

Question -- Russell, we've be hearing the bad news month after month. It never seems to end. How bad do you really think the US economy might become, at its worst?

Answer -- I honestly have no idea. I'm more interested in this question -- "at what point will the stock market have discounted the worst that can be seen ahead?" For at least a hint of now bad the situation might become, read the piece below about Meredith Whitney.

I just received the latest issue (Aug. 18) of Fortune magazine. On the cover is a picture of Meredith Whitney, currently the hottest analyst in the nation (she called the credit meltdown a year ago before anyone else knew what was going on). So what's her verdict now? Here it is, fresh out of Fortune --

"Whereas her peers keep searching for some sort of light at the end of the tunnel, Whitney thinks the tunnel is about to collapse. Bank stock investors will get crushed if they jump back in now, she contends because the banks are facing much bigger credit losses than what they've reported so far. Moreover, Whitney is convinced that the economy is about to sink into an "early 1980s-style" recession that will devastate the 10% of the population that became over-extended during the housing boom. "It feels like I'm at the epicenter of the biggest financial crisis in history," says Whitney.

Russell comment -- If the sage Meredith Whitney is correct, the market is probably fated to fall apart. That is, if the stock market has not yet discounted all the bad news she's talking about. But there's always that nagging question -- how much of the bad news has the stock market already discounted?

Discouraging development from Lowry's -- At yesterday's close Lowry's Selling Pressure Index was at exactly its multi-year high. Major stock market lows have never in the 75-year history of Lowry's occurred within a month of a new high in the Selling Pressure Index.

The best hope for the bulls is that this market will record a final bottom in the October-November period of 2008. The further best hope is that the Dow will be able to register its final low this side of Dow 10725.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-8-14 14:49:37 | 显示全部楼层

Swimming Against The

Swimming Against The
Rip-Tide Of Their Own Making
Mark J. Lundeen

12 August 2008
The concept of what inflation is and is not has changed since the creation of the US Federal Reserve in 1913. Looking at Collier New Dictionary of the English Language, 1924 issue, we find the word nflation?absent during the twilight era of the gold standard. However, Collier Dictionary 84 years ago did include the word nflationist?as being ne in favor of an increased issue of paper money.? The chart below shows that since 1924, the nflationists?had their way with the US money supply. Inflation in both financial assets and consumer goods has been a permanent factor in the dollar economy since 1913.

Currency in Circulation (CinC) is money plain and simple. CinC is paper money and coins used in everyday purchases of small items. However, when we purchase expensive items with a check, credit card, save money in a bank or money market account we are using interest bearing instruments of credit (debts) that are not money, plain and simple. Interest-bearing credits can grow many times the value of CinC and have great effect upon markets. A superb example of credit inflation moving a market both upwards and down would be NYSE margin debt moving the stock market from 1926 to 1933.

The chart above plots NYSE margin debt, the Dow Jones Industrial Average, US Currency in Circulation and the Broker Call-Money rate during the oaring 20ies?and the Great Depression.
Thanks to the then new Federal Reserve system, ample iquidity?(credit) was made available to the banking system for loans to purchase stocks. From 1926 to 1929, banks found making loans to Wall Street attractive as the collateral supporting their loans were liquid blue chip stocks. From 1926 to 1929, not only banks found loans for stock speculation attractive. Margined investors could leverage their stock investments with 90% of the purchase borrowed from a bank. This created a situation where a mere 10% correction could wipeout the margined investor and force banks to sell stocks in a distressed market. Note the close correlation between margin debt and the DJIA from 1926 to 1933.
The rate at which these loans were made was an estimate of both creditor and debtor expectations for profit against a given risk. Creditors and debtors do not make loan agreements thinking they will lose money. Banks in 1926 were willing to extend credit for margined accounts at 4.0%. However as the DJIA marched toward October 1929, we see the banks raise their call rate as their perception of risks grew.
Margined investors were clueless of the risk they faced. The banking system fired warning shots across the margined accounts?bow. In December of 1928 the call rate saw one shot of 10% and then another at 12%, the final warning of 16% was reported in the 29 April 1929 issue of Barron. The above chart shows the effectiveness of the warnings ?none.
Historical accounts usually credit the Federal Reserve system for attempting to prick the stock market bubble in 1929. However the chart & table below shows the banking system continuing to inflate the market bubble even as stock valuations imploded under their own weight.

From the statistical section of Barron published 79 years ago, the following table provides a 15 week review from August to November of 1929.

- The banking system continued to expand credit until week 10, seven weeks after the market peaked in week 3.
- From week 3 to week 8 the market fell 9%. The 10% margined investors were wiped out. The banks became concerned. In an economy with only $3.9 billion in CinC, the banks found themselves with $6.80 billion in rapidly deflating collateral undermining the assets on their books. The banks acted with a 300 basis point cut in the call rate.
- The rate cut grants a one week a stay of execution in week 9. But in week 10 a further 100 basis point cut, and an additional $90 million credit injection were futile gestures as the forces of asset deflation gathered momentum ever downward.
- Week 11gives Barron no good news to report as the engine of bank credit went into full reverse and the stock market crashed. By week 15 margin debt will contract by 46% from their October 1929 highs. In the next three years the Dow Jones will ultimately drop -89% and margin debt would drop -95%.
In a single sentence, the 1921 to 1932 bull and bear market cycle can be described as follows. The Federal Reserve system provided banks with the means to transform the stock market into a towering edifice of debt that by 1929 became so grotesquely bloated that a normal 10% correction in September - October 1929 became a self-destruct mechanism to a margin debt load twice the valuation of US Currency then in Circulation. All else is commentary.
To fully appreciate the scale of devastation reckless credit creation brought upon the companies of the Dow Jones Industrials and their investors in 1929, consider the following chart displaying every Dow Jones bear market from 1885 to 2008.

It is doubtful that many in high office (people who manage monetary policy on a daily basis) would give my single sentence summary of the 1929 stock market crash much weight. Our current Chairman of the Federal Reserve is a noted expert on the causes of the Great Crash of 1929. This was most likely instrumental in his selection as Chairman Greenspan replacement. In 2002, in the context of the bear market of 2000-03, he shared his thoughts at the National Economist Club in Washington D.C. as how best to counter asset deflation in the stock market.
under a paper-money system, a determined government can always generate higher spending and hence positive inflation. Of course, the U.S. government is not going to print money and distribute it willy-nilly.?Br>- Ben S. Bernanke, Federal Reserve Board Governor, November 21, 2002
In reviewing my 123 Year History of the Dow Jones Industrials Bear Markets, as painful as the 2000-03 bear market was, historically it was rather ordinary for the Dow Jones. To know if in 2000 the general stock market faced an abyss similar to the 1929-32 event - that the DJIA declined only 34% thanks to  determined government?and its aper money system?-would require data not published in Barron. But to know with certainty that  determined government?and its aper money system?passed out vast amounts of money illy-nilly?targeted at mortgages for 125% of inflated home valuations, often asking no money down, one only has to recall the incessant unsolicited daily phone calls and e-mailing offerings of only a few years ago.
From 2002 to 2007, the government and its Federal Reserve directed great tides of credit that rotesquely bloated?the mortgage market. In 2008, the holders of these assets now want to sell, but is that possible? So now the holders of these ill-considered assets and I watch with interest on how well our monetary policy makers swim against the rip tide of debt of their own making.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-8-14 15:05:02 | 显示全部楼层

Richard Russell On The Market

Richard Russell On The Market

August 11, 2008-- "A rough measure of broad money in the world's 20 largest economies is growing at near 20%, year-over-year, in dollar terms" (from Grant's Interest Rate Observer,August 8).

It's OK to be confused. It happens to me all the time. I receive about 20 advisory reports ever week, and in my 50 years in this business I can't ever remember such utter confusion (or let's call it differences of opinions). Many leading economists can't even agree as to whether we're in a recession or not.

And yes, the news is awful. The best economists in the nation are warning of bad things to come. Lower house prices, rising home inventories, hundreds of local banks fated to go under, Europe slowing down, foreign stock indices crumbling, commodities collapsing. You want bad news and even worse predictions, they're a dime a dozen.

Ah, but nobody has the ultimate answer to this one -- has the stock market discounted the worst -- or not? On this crucial count, nobody has the answer to this trillion dollar question. Nobody.

There are any number of good arguments as to why we're in a bear market or a bull market. I want to review some of the evidence on either side of the puzzle.

First, volatility is currently high -- the VIX has been running over the 20 level for months on end. High volatility is a characteristic of bear markets. High volatility is usually a result of huge differences in opinions. One day the bulls run the stock market higher, the next day the bears hammer it down. In bull markets, volatility tends to be on the low side. Big-move days are rarer, and the advances tend to be steady and relatively calm. High volatility is a bear market characteristic. So score one for the bears.

Last week saw the Dow up over 300 points on two separate days. But those big surges did not have the power that typical advances have, following the turn up from a bear market bottom. Neither of last week's 300-point Dow advances was a 90% up-day. The market acted more like an oversold bounce with added short covering. Score another for the bears.

Investor's seem to be somewhat discouraged but not panicked and not desperate. At true bear market bottoms sentiment tends to be black-bearish. We haven't been there yet.

All the above are in favor of the bear market designation. The action has not been typical bull market action. If we are in a bear market, then following the current rally, the market will turn down again to test, and probably violate, the July l4 lows (Dow 10962.44).

Following are the bull's arguments (the bull stance is that the decline from the 2007 highs was a deceptive and atypical correction in an ongoing bull market).

Following their January 17 lows, the D-J Transportation Average rallied, then backed off, but the Transports never even hinted of confirming the series of new lows set by the D-J Industrial Average. As of last Friday, the Transports closed a huge 1075 points above their January 17 low of 4140.29. This is hardly bear market action. As a matter of fact, as of last Friday the Transports were only 231 points below their all-time high recorded in July 2007.

The recent bull market advance started in October 2002 at Dow 7286. The advance carried the to Dow 14164 in October 2007. The 50% or halfway level of that entire advance comes in at 10725. According to the 50% Principle, it would be bullish if the Dow on any and all declines holds above 10725, the halfway level.

On July 15 the Dow declined to 10962.54. That decline halted exactly 237 points ABOVE the 10725 or 50% level. Was that a coincidence? Or was the market trying to tell us something? Was the fact that the Dow halted its decline 237 points above the 10725 level a significant (but unpublicized) bullish act?

Below we see a Point&Figure chart of the very broad Wilshire 5000 stock index. I've been directing subscribers' attentions to this chart. Note that the Wilshire plummeted to a low at the 12250 box. From there it rallied up to the 13150 box. In fact, the Wilshire rallied to the 13150 box twice, and each time it was turned back. Note the tight consolidation. Then last week the Wilshire (last column of green boxes) broke out to the upside. Following the obvious consolidation, I have to consider last week's breakout as bullish. And the rally continued today. The 13150 level on the Wilshire should now represent support on any further weakness. Price action trumps all other considerations. Give the bulls a gold ring and a cigar. Well, at least so far.

I'll be honest. I am impressed by the Lowry's argument that suggests that the July 15 was not a legitimate bottom for this market.

But I'm also impressed by the bullish arguments that I laid out in the section above. Very frankly, I can't come to a firm conclusion as to whether we're dealing with a bull or a bear market. Sometimes you just have to wait and allow the market to tell its story. Remember, we may be in a hurry, but the market never is.

Fred Hickey, who writes the great "The High-Tech Strategist" report, expects the market to fool everybody and head down while at the same time he expects gold to head higher. My old buddy, Joe Granville, who's been great at calling the shots, now expects the market to head higher into the Dow 1200s.

Martin Pring is an old-timer; he wrote one of the classic books on technical analysis. Below is the opening of a recent report that he wrote -- Published by Pring Turner, here is the opening:

"Yes, the financial news gets worse every day. Yes, the average stock is down more than 25% over the past thirteen months. Yes, the housing market is still reeling and foreclosure activity is rising. Yes, the price of gas is skyrocketing. And yes, this too will pass, and the economy and stock market will begin a new expansion and sustainable bull market, as all business cycles have.

"Over our several decades of investment management experience, we have witnessed many business cycle recessions and stock market declines. They all have one thing in common. In the midst of the most negative financial news, the stock market (fulfilling its role as an accurate leading economic indicator) begins to move higher in anticipation of the next economic recovery. We believe the market has more than discounted all the bad news out there and is putting the finishing touches on the bottoming process for stocks. Yes, a significant advance is set to begin that will take stocks much higher in the year ahead." (Thanks to David Fuller of FullerMoney out of London for the above).

Me, I'm going to stay largely in cash and gold for a while, but I'll keep adding top-quality dividend-paying stocks to the compounding portfolios that I manage (stocks added -- GE, JNJ, PG, MCD).
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-8-14 20:44:04 | 显示全部楼层

HUI - THE Bottom?

Thursday, August 14, 2008HUI - THE Bottom?
Over the last week I was doing exactly what I did last August during the regurgitory festivities; buying high quality gold & silver miners with both hands. Also GLD & SLV for good measure. This relatively small segment of the market is subject to exhilarating up spikes and nauseating drops. It's just the way it is.

The question now is, was that THE bottom? One would like to think so but a couple nagging issues remain; 1) The target from the massive topping pattern - the top of the cranium of which was represented by our reverse symmetrical triangle in March - remains in the 260's and 2) This could set up to be a classic breakdown, ABC correction with 'B' testing the broken neckline with a 38% or 50% Fib retrace before a final decline to target.

The miners are again dutifully trading with oil which tells me that the wrong investors - the ones who dumped en mass with the drop in oil - are trying to catch the bottom in both for another swing at the 'inflation trade'. But the gold miners will ultimately be a 'deflation scare' trade so I am going to strongly consider reaping some profits if given a nice opportunity here. It gets tiring trying to anticipate what casino patrons with faulty fundamentals are going to do. I expect some serious damage in all major markets once we get well into September. I expect the USD to have wrapped up any short term correction in a few weeks (see recently posted daily, weekly & monthly charts) and a kick off to the scariest part of Deflation Scare '08. Those brave enough to have been buying gold stocks over the last week might consider these factors.

Posted by Gary
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2008-8-14 20:48:06 | 显示全部楼层

Incredible Shrinking Middle Class

Incredible Shrinking Middle Class

by Jennifer Barry

I’ve been concerned about the state of the U.S. economy for several years, but only recently has mainstream America started waking up to the severity of the crisis. Even the depths of the Dow bear market in 2003 didn’t engender this much pessimism. At the time, most people still believed that stocks would go up in the long run, and it was time to scoop up the bargains.

The bargain hunters looked right when the markets rallied strongly for the next four years. Although last October the Dow breached 14,100, it’s been a bumpy ride down since then. The U.S. suffered it’s worst June stock market slump since 1930. In only a month the Dow plunged 10.19%, the Nasdaq dropped 9.10%, and the S&P lost 8.6%.

Unlike the previous bear market, investors don’t have dramatic home price appreciation to fall back on. Most urban and suburban areas were enjoying annual double digit increases from 2002 through 2005 according to the S&P/Case-Shiller Home Price Indices. Now the top twenty metropolitan regions are down an average of 15.8% since last spring. Real estate speculators can no longer count on home equity loans to generate extra cash when needed.

Now I sense the level of fear is elevated, even among the middle class. Americans don’t believe this downturn will be over quickly. Even the managed press has dropped much of its optimistic facade, and some are mentioning the “d word” - depression. Reporters are openly mocking the fantasy economic indicators released by the government. John McCain’s campaign advisor Phil Gramm called the financial distress in the U.S. a “mental recession” and was roundly criticized.

Once you investigate the real economic condition of the United States, you realize how vulnerable the middle class is. One researcher who has been shining the light on bankruptcy and financial stress in this group since the 1980s is Elizabeth Warren, a professor at Harvard Law School. One of her presentations filmed in 2007 (based on her research in 2005) is available on YouTube here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akVL7QY0S8A). I highly recommend you watch it and pass it on to friends and family.

In the video, Warren asserts that most families need both parents to work to enjoy the trappings of a middle class lifestyle - an average size house in a safe neighborhood, adequate health care, a college fund for the children, and a couple of late-model cars. This is a stark change in only a generation. Warren points out that in the early 1970s, most families only had one employed parent, usually the father. Thirty years ago, a mother with a six year old was less likely to hold a job that the mother of a six month old infant today.

If families are pulling in two incomes in this decade but are still struggling, where is the money going? Warren originally expected that the middle class was blowing their budget on designer clothes, gourmet food, and fancy appliances. However, data from the Commerce Department told another story. The family of 2005 spent 32% less on clothes, 18% less on food, and 52% less on appliances than the equivalent 1970 family. Electronic gadgets only account for an increase of $300 per year adjusted for inflation. In short, discretionary spending as a percentage of income was down.

Fixed expenses however, are sharply up. While today’s families are spending less per car, most households need two vehicles to commute to work. Child care and preschool are common expenses for many parents that were rare in 1970. A two income family also means a 25% increase in taxes. While the median house grew slightly by about one room in the past three decades - McMansion developments notwithstanding - mortgage payments rose by 76%. Employer sponsored health insurance costs 74% more than in 1970, and may not cover many of the expenses. Not coincidentally, today’s families are spending three-quarters of their income on basic needs, compared to only 50% of wages in the 1970s.

Despite these realities, the media portrays people who file bankruptcy as irresponsible spendthrifts. In contrast, 90% of bankruptcies are caused by family breakup from death or divorce, job loss, or health problems, not conspicuous consumption. Some 20% of broke families suffer all three catastrophes which cause them to plunge into a lower economic class. Children are more likely to experience a bankruptcy in their family than a divorce. Unlike divorce, bankruptcy is often hidden from everyone due to the social stigma.

Children are a major risk factor for middle class financial calamity. In 2001, 7.4 out of 1000 childless married couples filed for bankruptcy. The number more than doubled for parents.

Warren’s research found that two income families are surprisingly more vulnerable to becoming poor than one income families. In the past, if the father was laid off, there was generally a worker in reserve who could step in. Even if the mother did not have an equal earning potential, at least the family could gain a small income plus an unemployment check.

Today families depend on two incomes to pay their expenses, so the chance of financial disaster has doubled. They require all 104 paychecks per year. The average savings rate has dropped from 11% of income in 1970 to net negative. These families are living so close to the edge - barely able to pay their fixed costs like their mortgage and utilities - that any misfortune can push them over the edge to bankruptcy. Too often these families fall out of the middle class and never regain their previous standard of living. Warren sees the U.S. in a disturbing trend of stratification into two classes - a large lower class and a small group of rich people.

If anyone in the family gets sick, income will likely crash. Warren found that women with critically ill children stay at the hospital until they get fired. Even if the child or spouse is discharged from the hospital, someone has to stay home to care for their medical needs. Patients are sent home “quicker and sicker” than a generation ago, and families must take up the slack. I know a woman who recently quit her job to care for her father-in-law, as this was more economical than trying to purchase nursing care for him.

With the dire situation facing the U.S. middle class, I wondered what Warren’s solutions would be. I searched for some of her other writing and read through excerpts from her book, The Two Income Trap. I agree with her admonition to cut large fixed expenses now before a personal crisis hits. It’s essential to live within your means. It doesn’t make sense to cut out restaurant meals when your real problem is an unaffordable mortgage. If your budget is strained, you will eventually run out of discretionary items to cut. This is doubly true as the annual U.S. real inflation rate is firmly into double digits, and the price of most necessities is rising at a frightening rate.

I also like Warren’s recommendation to save six months of living expenses in case of an emergency. If you don’t have six months’ worth of expenses saved, get as close as you can. Work on decreasing major outlays so you can save more. Due to the fragile nature of the U.S. banking system, I would spread this savings out between different banks, while keeping some money in cash and highly liquid forms of precious metals hidden in safe but accessible places.

Warren’s idea to get the shortest loan term possible has merit. During the housing bubble, borrowers became overloaded with debt because the monthly payments seemed manageable at first, and they didn’t worry about the mortgage reset. I appreciate that she doesn’t criticize all debt as bad, like I’ve seen some writers do. In a high inflation environment, it makes sense to borrow at an interest rate that’s much lower than M3, especially if you can pay off higher rate debts.

I also concur with Warren that bringing back usury laws would be a excellent way to protect the consumer from predatory lenders. These lenders take advantage of vulnerable borrowers and loopholes in the law to raise rates to unfair levels like 911% per year - reminiscent of loan sharks.

Other solutions offered by Warren are more socialist, and don’t make sense from the Austrian Economic perspective I ascribe to. Noting that homes in “good” school districts cost more than those with “bad” schools, Warren proposes public school vouchers. Unfortunately, this is the educational equivalent of giving aspirin to a cancer patient. Over the past few decades, public schools have received rapidly increasing money and government attention, while turning out increasingly less knowledgeable students. The system is irreparably broken. I would prefer allowing families to be able to opt out of public schools entirely without having to pay the taxes for services they don’t use.

Warren also believes that a college education is necessary to join the middle class, so she wants a tuition freeze for state universities. She complains that tuition is increasing at about three times the CPI rate. Since CPI is admittedly massaged lower by government statisticians, I don’t think it’s valid to use it as a yardstick.

In addition, all the education grants and subsidized, government-guaranteed loans are the cause of the high cost of university. If college students had to prove to loan officers that they deserved the money, or had to pay up front for classes, demand for college courses would drop precipitously. With very few students willing to attend at that price, tuition would drop until campuses were full again. Teenagers can’t get their parents to give them $100,000 to start a business, but many can get that financial commitment to enter college without a career plan or a marketable major.

Continuing the education theme, Warren would like public education to start a year or two earlier with universal preschool. She believes this will help all families. As far as I can tell, universal means mandatory, and I bristle at the thought of adding a new bureaucracy to enforce this policy.

This will also cost more taxpayer funds to expand a system that’s already failing, and unfairly increase the burden on people with grown children or no kids at all. As states like California are already making it more difficult to meet requirements for homeschooling, universal preschool would increase the burdens on these parents.

As a mother herself, Warren is concerned about the struggles of parents. She proposes subsidized child care for working mothers as this is a large budget item. However, she doesn’t want stay-at-home moms to miss out on this largesse, so she believes that these families should also get a government check. Again this policy is unfair to childless people and older parents. Government funds would also cause the cost of child care to rise, just like college subsidies raised the price of tuition.

Warren’s ideas totally collapse when you scrutinize the state of the U.S. federal budget. The government will not be able to deliver on their current promises, much less increase social assistance. As Richard Fisher, President of the Dallas branch of the Federal Reserve stated in a recent speech, the unfunded liabilities of Medicare and Social Security are USD $99.2 trillion.That’s the total if America funded all its obligations now with today’s dollars. The money deducted from your paychecks has long been spent and then some. An increasingly smaller workforce will not be able to support the Baby Boomers through their senior years, and a similar dynamic is occurring in aging societies like Japan.

No matter what you think about the social “safety net,” it’s already starting to erode. Retirees are struggling as their Social Security cost of living adjustments are tied to an artificially low CPI. John Williams estimates that SSI payments would be twice as much if the government used statistics properly. Many large companies have critically underfunded pension plans, and the Pension Protection Act of 2006 requires that benefits be frozen or recalculated in order to make these plans more solvent. Unfortunately, that makes your monthly check a lot smaller. Workers who are counting on a comfortable retirement may find themselves living in poverty if they don’t have a backup plan.

I never like to leave my articles on a hopeless note. I believe there is a partial solution for the coming stratification of the U.S. into two classes, upper and lower. While I can’t save everyone from poverty, I can help my readers get into and stay in the upper class. It is possible to become self-sufficient and fund your own retirement, as long as you don’t follow the talking heads on TV. The majority will not get rich, so you can’t follow the crowd no matter how reassuring this is.

Break from the herd and put the bulk of your savings in bullion. The older you are, the more conservative you should be, which means a larger percentage of metal in your portfolio. Then add to your precious metal position with investments in quality resource, energy, and infrastructure companies like the ones I profile in my newsletter. Reduce your fixed expenses and you will have more money to buy hard assets as well as a cushion in case unexpected events occur.
回复 支持 反对

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

小黑屋|手机版|Archiver|大中华投资网

GMT+8, 2024-5-20 20:44 , Processed in 0.014206 second(s), 26 queries .